Sunday, July 22, 2012

Trees and Monsters...

Sorry I have been MIA...I started school, went on vacation, came back to open house and a busy week...whew! I am glad that I am starting another week tomorrow though. My kids are slowly coming together, and I think that overall, they are a pretty good group of kids! They will definitely keep me on my toes this year!


Here are two of the activities that we have done so far...


Chicka Chicka Boom Boom...Who is in our Room?


On our second day of school, we read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and I had the kids make these really cute trees! They used construction paper for the tree trunks, and I made some easy leaves that I had them color (either green or yellow) and then I had packaged the letters of their name into baggies. They had to identify their name and then spell it out. I got the foam letters from Michael's for pretty cheap...and we will use them again and again I am sure. Here are some of the end projects...I didn't have time to take pictures throughout...oh well!








Overall, I think they did pretty good! They were very proud of their work though!


Monster Rolls
On my first day back, which I also learned was Open House (only one parent showed up...) I had my students make some monsters to go with the classroom decor! I had saved my empty toilet paper roles for a while, and finally had enough. I used foam rectangle pieces from the Dollar Tree (Love THAT PLACE!), googlie eyes, markers, and construction paper. We wrapped the toilet paper roll in the foam piece, after it was decorated, added on 1, 2, 3 or 4 eyes (it is a monster after all), put on some hair, and VOILA...we have our own monster! Here are some of the finished project...and BTW: my kids LOVED these! It took some convincing, but they were able to stay at school for Open House, but went home the next day!






 My favorite part about the monsters is that they are all unique. 


Up next, I am starting a new idea...I discovered (or uncovered) a full set of pocket chart poems from an OLD curriculum that my district used to use...I get to take them out, cut them apart, and use away. They are perfect for my kids...as we work on a variety of pre-reading skills with them...The first one is about fish...I am planning an art project and even some cooking (I am thinking blue Jell-O...we will have to see! 


1 comment: