Sunday, July 29, 2012

My "Teaching" Story...

This is my first Linky Party...Kind of excited to be a part of it!

So here it is...How I became a teacher...

I guess I have to start at the beginning. Some would say that they have known I would be a teacher since I was in elementary school. My first "job" was a babysitting job of a boy that was blind. My main volunteer job in junior high and high school was for an infant and toddler center that worked with children with disabilities. I will never forget walking into that classroom, and feeling at home. In college, I was a camp counselor at Camp  Friendship--a camp for children and adults with disabilities...I spent three summers working at Camp! Definitely a home away from home.

When I originally went to college, I wanted to be a physical therapist...but picked a college that had an OK PT department...but the only problem was that I did NOT like science or math. So instead, I got my degree in English...I wanted to be an English teacher...not really, but that is what I said. I didn't complete my student teaching, and graduated college 1/2 year early. I started working as an instructional assistant for a local school district and was an in-home provider for a few kids in my neighbor. (The vision is becoming clearer)! When my partner got a job in California, it was very easy to pack up and move with her.

Insert a break in the education field. I became a photographer for about 2 years, then worked in a group home for youth that were in trouble for about 6 months. Then I got pregnant and had to leave. My doctor said that my job was not a good fit, as the youth could get violent. And where did I turn...I became a substitute in the school district. I long-termed subbed in an special day classroom for almost 6 months, then floated around the district for the rest of the year...and most of the next year....Then a position opened in the school district as a special day class teacher. I applied, had my interview, and was accepted for the position. Then I had to complete the interview process for my internship program (that is crazy--you have to be accepted to college, then have a job, then be accepted into the internship program)! All of the pieces fell into place.

So like I said...some would say that I have come full circle. I would say I knew where I was going, I just took the scenic route to get there! And now that I am here...I would not have changed a thing...each stop along the journey is as it was supposed to be...providing me with the tools and the focus to be where I am today!

1 comment:

  1. I think you were born with a love of helping kids with challenges. When you were two you attended Children's Home Society Day Care. Many of the kids there had disabilities ... Spinabifida, web fingers and toes, etc. You loved it.

    ReplyDelete