Tuesday, October 23, 2012

So...what is BASICS?



Working with students with moderate-severe disabilities can be a challenge....meeting their unique needs (a variety of them) each day can be difficult...but our district created a framework for our moderate to severe population...BASICS...in its second edition. Here is a picture of it...you can find the BASICS2 book at Lakeshore.



Basics2 Curriculum Framework for Students with Moderate to Severe Disabilities

BASICS is broken into 5 domains: Functional Academics, Community, Recreation and Leisure, Vocational and Domestic. Each domain focuses on different aspects of functional living skills that our students need to learn to be successful. So I will spend the next couple of posts trying to describe the curriculum that I use, the programs that I incorporate, and some of the activities that my students work on each day...as well as how they fit into each domain. 

Incorporating BASICS into every task, every portion, of my day...has become easy. BASICS will guide my instruction...overall, I focus on two things in my day...progression of skills and independence...tow things that my students are working towards each day.

Enough about BASICS today...I will work out more tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment