Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Technology Tuesday


 









                                                       


Technology Tuesday...

As a special education teacher, technology is crucial in a variety of aspects in my classroom! 

I use a variety of technology in my classroom: iPads, iPods, switches, standers, walkers, ELMOs, projectors, etc! You name it, I have used it...but for here, I am going to focus on Assistive and Augmentative Communication (AAC). These include buttons, switches and other devices that can work on assisting communication for students that have difficulty with communication. Some examples:

These are all samples of the GoTalk Systems. They are a great introduction for students to use assistive technology. They can start anywhere in the spectrum (4, 9, 20, 32) with a variety of boards. You can make the templates for each one using Boardmaker-allowing you to personalize each page for an individual child.

As students continue to progress, or require more exact, or if they can spell, students can use programs like ProLoQuo, which uses your iPad or iPod to run ProLoQuo. An added bonus to PLQ is that if students are able, they can type words or sentences to speak! AWESOME!

Thank you for letting me speak towards a different type of technology! 





1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see someone posting AAC! I am a special ed. teacher as well and these devices are an everyday part of our world!! :)

    Check out my special education blog over at
    Mrs. H's Resource Room

    Kim

    ReplyDelete